Scripting pulling FM files from version control and, creating PDFs

Fred Wersan fwersan at mak.com
Fri Feb 22 05:13:57 PST 2008

Shmuel asked about Macro Express and AutoIt. I've used Macro Express for
many years and AutoIt for the past 2-3. For simple, quick macros, Macro
Express is great. Well worth the $40.

For more involved scripting, ME gets really clumsy to write and
maintain. AutoIt is much better for complex scripting. I use it to write
a lot of little utilities. Then I use the GUI capability to create small
button bars to quickly access the utilities.

All that said, Framescript will handle FamreMaker tasks much more
efficiently and quickly than any generic scripting or macro program. The
downside is that you have to learn to program in FrameScript (drives me
crazy). Or you can contract out the work.

Fred
--
Fred Wersan
Senior Technical Writer