help needed with cleanfm batch file

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 25 22:59:25 PST 2008

Hi Dave,

Sorry I did not see your message earlier, I've been swamped at work and not
reading so much home email the past few days.  I'n now trying to catch up on
583 new emails.

Anyway, I wrote the original batch file about 20 years ago as a general
cleanup tool and modified it for just FM files about 15 years ago when I
started using FM.  I posted it on the list a few months ago when somebody
asked how to clean out the backup files from their FM directory.  The trick
to using it is that you have to be IN the directory where the FM files are.
To do that, open a DOS window (cmd.exe) from that directory, then run the
batch file.  If you just open a DOS window in its default directory
(windows\system32) it will try to find the .backup files there, and of
course, that doesn't work.

When I wrote the original batch file, the /s switch had not been implemented
in the DIR or DEL commands, so I used a freebee executable called sweep.com
to do the recursion and get any files in subdirs too.  But it's easier to
just use the /s switch as Syed as shown in his example.

However, I do not think it is necessary to check the list before deleting
backup files. I've never had my batch file  go wrong in 20 years, ever.
Unlike Syed, I use a batch file and do not type it in by hand each time.

Here's the batch file again.

@echo off
echo.
echo   Deleting the following files from the current directory:
dir *.backup.* *.lck
echo.
del *.backup.* *.lck

Let me know if you have any more questions about the file or how to use it.
BTW, if you just type the name of the original batch file CLEAN.BAT (also
attached) without any entries, it displays the help for the file.

Hope this helps,
Diane Gaskill