help needed with cleanfm batch file

Syed.Hosain at aeris.net Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Fri Feb 22 11:51:05 PST 2008

Using a DOS Command Prompt window ... at the top of the directory tree
with all the FrameMaker documents (or at the root of the drive, if you
really want to do that ... carefully!):

1. First I verify which files are going to get deleted:

	dir  *.backup.*  *.lck /s

I check the dir listing result, and once I am sure that only the files
that I want deleted, will get deleted, I do:

	del  *.backup.*  *.lck /s

And they are gone! :) The "/s" searches subdirectories below the current
working directory ...

For safety, I use two DOS command prompt batch files ... so I do not
have to worry about typo's in what I type. For example, my batch file
(called "dback.bat") for the deletion has a single line in it:

	del  *.backup.*  *.lck  %1%  %2%  %3%  %4%  %5%  %6%  %7%  %8%
%9%

in it. Then I can add *more* files for deletion (like "*.lck" or
"*.tpdf" or "*.ps" ... always with care!) and can also add "/s" to get a
recursive deletion through the directory tree just by saying any of the
following:

	dback
	dback  /s
	dback  *.tpdf