Index colum-page breaks

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Fri Feb 29 10:24:51 PST 2008

Pete Rourke wrote:

> On a generated index, I have a two column spread alphabetically. My problem
> is trying to find the right combination of 'keep with', Widow/Orphan lines,
> Format  to keep it from leaving the Group Titles IX paragraph with its Index
> line at the bottom of a column or page, and the first entry standing all
> alone at the top of the second column or the top of the next page.
>

> I have unsuccessfully tried a number of permutations without success. Maybe
> there is something besides the paragraph designer??

The widow/orphan setting affects text only within a single paragraph, so
that is a red herring when it comes to keeping a title paragraph with
the following paragraph.  (It is useful in keeping multi-line index
entries from splitting awkwardly, however.)

Richard pointed out the likely solution, which is that you forgot to
Update All after changing your Group Titles IX paragraph to keep with
next.  That is the proper approach, because you will always want your
group title to be followed by a first-level entry.

Peter Gold adds a recommendation for TocBreaker, a free plug-in.  That
is also a useful tool, but not for this exact problem of group titles.
TocBreaker is better applied to the problem of how to keep second-level
entries listed directly under first-level entries, without having
keep-with-next or keep-with-previous create long lists of entries that
act as unbreakable blocks.  TocBreaker works by "memorizing" the places
where you manually insert breaks, so that you can reapply them en masse
after the file is regenerated.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"The first 90% of the code accounts for the first 90% of the development
time.
The remaining 10% of the code accounts for the other 90% of the
development time."

--Tom Cargill, Bell Labs