PDF links inside a browser

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Sat Jan 5 08:50:51 PST 2008

Rick,

You wrote:

>I have some PDFs that are viewed in a browser. Is there a syntax for PDF
>links that will force a new browser window (or tab) to open? Thanks in advance.

This is possible in Acrobat, through the Acrobat JavaScript app.launchURL
function (Acrobat's "new window" property only applies to links viewed
locally).

In FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers 5.0, the "new window" link control was
extended to optionally display web-based links in a new browser window
(Links/General tab, Cross-file links: Open PDF in a new window, Also apply
to web links).
The function can apply to all web links (i.e. no need to modify anything in
the FrameMaker file), or to individual links (in which case a special
hypertext marker has to be used instead of the standard "message URL
http://..." marker).
For additional info & sample files, see
http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF10.html

[ If your files are authored using FrameMaker 8.0: TimeSavers 5.5 also
provides a solution for a cross-file link issue introduced in FrameMaker
8.0, where the Unicode-encoded target filename causes links in web-based
PDFs (or when PDFs are viewed with earlier Acrobat/Reader versions) to be
non-functional -- see http://www.microtype.com/FM_bugs.html#FM80, first item. ]

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants