third-party or Frame tools for doc review/collaboration

FeiMin_Lorente at amis.com FeiMin_Lorente at amis.com
Mon Jan 7 07:47:15 PST 2008

Hi Matthew:

I'm using a tool that WebWorks used to sell called FinalDraft.
Unfortunately, they're no longer selling it, so it won't help you. I just
wanted to ask someone out there to develop a review tool like it because
it has some significant advantages over the FrameMaker-track-changes and
the PDF-commenting models.

Only the person distributing and changing the FrameMaker document has to
buy the licensed software (the authoring version); all the reviewers can
use the free software.
You can make the changes suggested by reviewers' comments, then send
another draft, and the existing comments will still be in the draft. Then
reviewers can check the changes against their comments, and carry the
discussion on further if they like.
You can assign a status to each discussion so that they're easier to
manage; categories such as Open, Closed, and MoreInfo help the author and
the reviewers sort through the comments so they know which ones they have
to read and which ones they can ignore.
When you double-click on a comment, it opens FrameMaker and highlights the
paragraph where the comment applies.

Of course, it has its flaws because it never got to a second release, but
it's still the most efficient way I have to distribute drafts and collect
comments. I can keep using FinalDraft with FrameMaker 7.2, but they
stopped development on it, so I can't use it with FrameMaker 8. If anyone
knows of a review tool that has these features, please let me know. If
anyone would like to develop such a tool (especially for structured
documents), I think you'll find a market for it.

Fei Min

"Matthew Reeves" <mreeves111 at gmail.com>
Sent by: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com
01/02/2008 09:07 PM

framers at lists.frameusers.com
cc

Subject
third-party or Frame tools for doc review/collaboration

I recently started using FM after a seven-yr hiatus :) There used to be a
tool called FrameView or something. I think it was a cheap solution
companies could purchase for subject matter experts who don't author but
are
involved in the review/collaboration process.

Also, I know about some third-party apps for commenting/saving changes to
PDFs. I mean ones that are much cheaper than the Acrobat suite. These
would
solve part of the collaboration problem, but we are hoping to
review/accept
review comments programmatically in similar fashion to Word.

Any referrals and general tips much appreciated.

Cheers,
Matthew Reeves
mreeves111 at gmail.com