Table Footnote question

Tammy Van Boening Tammy.VanBoening at healthlanguage.com
Fri Jan 11 12:26:17 PST 2008

I have a table that spans more than two pages. I need to insert
Footnotes into this table. I have scoured FM's OLH and can't find the
answer to this question. When I insert footnotes on page 1 of 4 of the
table, the footnotes are numbered based on the column on the page. For
example, if I place a footnote in Col 1 on page 1 and it is footnote
"1", then when I place a footnote in Col 2 of the table on page 1, it is
numbered "2" as I would expect. However, if I then scroll down the page
a bit and place a third footnote on page 1, but back in Col 1, this
footnote is NOT numbered "3" - instead, it becomes "2" and what was
footnote #2 now becomes footnote #3. Ok, I was wanting to place
footnotes markers sequentially from left to right, top to bottom (the
way people read my English manuals), but instead, it's top to bottom,
then left to right the way FM does it - Fine, I will deal with that but
what I can't figure out is the footnote numbering on the subsequent
pages of the table. If I place footnote IN THE SAME TABLE, but on a
different page, like Page #2, then the Footnote numbering starts over -
instead of being #4, it is #1 again. ARGH! What is FM NOT recognizing
the continuation of the footnotes as I am placing them in the same
table?

I have looked at Format > Document > Numbering for the doc. Specifically
for Table Footnote, but there are no options like there are for just
Footnote.

I need to be able to add sequential footnotes across a multiple page
table and for the life of me, since FM controls the footnote numbering
(and the FM OLH makes that painfully clear), I am about to resort to
manually numbering - but that would be a maintenance nightmare.

TIA,

TVB

Tammy Van Boening
Senior Technical Writer
Health Language, Inc.
Office: +1 (303) 307-4400 x254
www.healthlanguage.com

NOTICE BY HEALTH LANGUAGE, INC.
This message, as well as any attached document, contains information from Health Language, Inc. that is confidential.  The information is intended only for the use of the addressee named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful.  If you have received this message in error, please delete all electronic copies of this message and its attachments, if any, destroy any hard copies you may have created, without disclosing the contents, and notify the sender immediately.  Unless expressly stated otherwise, nothing contained in this message should be construed as a digital or electronic signature, nor is it intended to reflect an intention to make an agreement by electronic means.