Alphabetizing a generated list of Figures or Tables

Frank Stearns franks at fsatools.com
Wed Jan 23 11:43:19 PST 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Combs, Richard wrote:

> Pete Rourke wrote:
>
>> I started from the book add>List of > Figures using the
>> paragraph tag, Caption, but I have not figured out how to put
>> this into the reference page (like what the standard index
>> does) to do the alphabetical sorting.

snips

> You can make your own index of figures, but it's a bit of work. In each
> Caption pgf, you need to insert a marker. Either define a custom Marker
> Type for the purpose -- say, "Figure" -- or use one of the built-in
> types that you don't currently use -- say, "Subject" or "Comment." The
> Marker Text for each marker should be what you want in the index. If
> it's the complete text of the Caption pgf, just select it all and FM
> puts it in the Marker Text box of the Marker dialog. (This entire
> process could be scripted, of course.)

Or, you could use IXgen to do this in just a few moments. You can
create markers from specific para tags, such as those used for the
captions; and you can create markers of whatever type you wanted
(including those you define yourself).

This would make later collection and modification very simple and
fast.

Frank Stearns Associates | makers of IXgen(tm) for FrameMaker(r)
franks at fsatools.com <mailto:franks at fsatools.com>
TOLL FREE Voice (USA and Canada):  800-567-6421
USA Voice: 360-892-3970  USA FAX: 360-253-1498
http://www.fsatools.com