Interpreting logged pdf errors or parsing the FM messages

Rob Shell rshell at iafrica.com
Sun Jan 27 13:54:13 PST 2008

Dear Framers:
thanks for the direct replies about my crashlogs: very helpful.

First, my platform: I am using Framemaker 7.2p158 on Windows XP Second
edition with all its updates.

I have a virtually clean machine with A to O drives. I mention this as I
print export to different drives for space reasons.

I am printing .ps files to another, spacious drive. The current book file
has 77 heavily indexed, heavily illustrated document files.

Many of my crashlogs provide the page number where it stopped distilling.
Turns out this was the last page of the document file. When I inspected the
last page it looked good, until I noticed that after the last word there was
that symbol which looked like an 8, but aint.

That symbol was on its own line and when I pulled up paragraph designer, the
paragraph label was "body" and the font was Script24 ( I forget the exact
spelling).

I am unable to change that font using the default font in character
designer. In some other files the same character at the same point in the
file was Times Roman. Also quite unable to change the font. What is this
character and why is it visiting my files?

I have tried successfully (I thought) to change the system font to one of
the two fonts I use (Adobe Garamond and Myriad Roman) using the maker.ini
file. Not respected.

Thus I at least have identified the fault area (last page of the file), but
now am stuck for a solution. I read somewhere that the last page is the page
where all the numbering information is. I can report no page numbering
problems, but I digress...

I confess--miserably--that I have spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME trying to figure
out where I am going awry.

Yes I love FrameMaker, but I sure appreciate comments from the outside
universe.

yours gratefully,
Rob
Major Lurker

Prof. Robert C.-H. Shell
Commissioner of Truth and Justice for Mauritius
Extraordinary Professor of Historical Demography
University of the Western Cape
Courier address:
Room 3,23
Statistics department