[f2a] Variable on Master Pages.....getting them to talk

Baruch Brodersen baruch at technitext.com
Thu Jan 31 06:48:17 PST 2008

Eduardo,

You can achieve the desired effect by using a combination of these three
system variables:

Volume Number	<$volnum>
Chapter Number	<$chapnum>
Current Page #	<$curpagenum>

First set up Document Numbering Properties like this:

1. Format > Document > Numbering
   a. Volume tab, in Volume # write 2H. In Format, choose Text.
   b. Chapter tab, Chapter #: 2. Format: Numeric (14)
   c. Page tab, Format: Alphabetic (N)

2. In the Master Pages arrange the variables thus:
   <$volnum>-<$chapnum><$curpagenum>

If that doesn't work for your setup you may want to consider hiring someone
to dig into the bowels of Frame and write a custom system variable for you,
assuming that's doable.

Best,

B a r u c h   B r o d e r s e n
T e c h n i t e x t   D o c u m e n t a t i o n