Sort order of entries in an index

Lester C. Smalley lsmalley at infocon.com
Tue Jul 1 14:12:20 PDT 2008

Linda,

Try adding a space before the opening square bracket of the sort order:

   studs:70 mm roller locations [studs:070 mm]
   studs:90 mm roller locations [studs:090 mm]

Also, it may help if you specify the FM version, OS and platform that
you're working with just in case there are subtle differences (e.g.
"platform dependencies") of which readers here are aware.

On Tuesday, July 01, 2008 16:24, Combs, Richard wrote:

| Linda G. Gallagher wrote:
|
| > This worked to sort the entries that start with the numbers:
| >
| > 70 mm stud:roller locations[070 mm]
| > 90 mm stud:roller locations[090 mm];
| >
| > But the following did not work to sort the entries under stud.
| >
| > studs:70 mm roller locations[studs:070 mm]
| > studs:90 mm roller locations[studs:090 mm]
| >
| > Where did I go wrong here?
|
| Do the first two really look like that? I'd have thought the sort
order
| for an index level would need to be specified at that level, e.g.:
|
| 70 mm stud[070 mm]:roller locations
| 90 mm stud[090 mm]:roller locations
|
| And to control sort order of the second-level entries, I'd think this
| would work:
|
| studs:70 mm roller locations[070 mm]
| studs:90 mm roller locations[090 mm]
|
| But I'm guessing -- no promises. :-)