Importing Ventura files

Jacob Schäffer js at grafikhuset.dk
Thu Jul 3 00:27:30 PDT 2008

Hello Lutz,

If you have one of the latest Corel Ventura versions, preferably 10.0, then you can write a script using CorelSCRIPT to export all content to MIF. This is not a trivial task, but it can be done.

CorelSCRIPT is a rather complete scripting language that resemble the BASIC language. If you are familiar with Visual Basic or VBA you will get familiar with CorelSCRIPT quite fast.

To get a quick overview try to enter the Ventura menu Tools -> Corel SCRIPT -> Run/Manage scripts. Then select e.g. the "EnableExportOnSave" script and press the Edit button to open the script in Windows NotePad. This will give you an idea of the scripting code complexity AND flexibility.

The "EnableExportOnSave" script as it comes with Ventura 10 offer you the option of exporting all text sequences to either TXT or RTF format. However, these export files will include ParaTags, CharTags and Overrides according to the Ventura markup language. Hence, tidying-up after import to Framemaker would be needed.

To do this you'll need to upgrade all publications to Version 10 and then run the script on each PUB.

The "EnableExportOnSave" script can be re-coded in a way that does not use the Ventura built-in Save functions, but instead runs through the text flow in pages and frames and then saves each flow as plain text files. This can be further enhanced to include reading ParaTag and CharTag properties and writing MIF code directly.

It all depends on your knowledge, time and finances. I could do it, but I haven't much spare time left these days. Instead, I suggest that you contact Gábor DEÁK JAHN in Hungary to come closer to the help you might need. Gábor knows Ventura and CorelSCRIPT inside out.

Search Google for "DEÁK JAHN Gábor Ventura" to find him.

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Jacob Schäffer  |  Chief Developer
Paradis Allé 22, Ramløse
DK-3200 Helsinge, Denmark