problem printing to PDF after system change - solved

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 4 14:43:17 PDT 2008

Wim Hooghwinkel wrote (in part):

> As far as I know I have all fonts installed. I also didn't know that
> FrameMaker could embed fonts in a document. So what's the trick?

On a Windows system the originating application has nothing to do
with font embedding unless you're talking about the small handful of
apps that internally generate PDF (e.g. Adobe Illustrator, InDesign).
On a Windows system the font information is normally added into
PostScript output streams by the printer driver. In version 7.0
of Acrobat there was a Printer Preferences setting called 'Do not
send fonts to "Adobe PDF"', which that tells the printer driver not
to include the fonts in the PostScript stream, but rather let Distiller
access the font files directly if the Distiller job options are set up
for font embedding. I'm guessing that this option was relabeled in
Acrobat 8.0 as the 'rely on system fonts only; do not use document
fonts' option you mention.

But when you say that unchecking this option "meanns that embedded
fonts wll be used in stead of system fonts", I think you're misinterpreting
the option. If this really is an option of the Adobe PDF printer, then it's
working on the PDF *creation* side, before there's ever a file for the
fonts to be embedded in. If it's on the creation side, I believe what it
is controlling is where the Distiller will obtain the font information that
it embeds in the PDF: from the PostScript ("document fonts") or directly
from the font files ("system fonts").

But Adobe certainly could do a better job of explaining this stuff (and
not changing their terminology with every release).
-Fred Ridder