problem printing to PDF after system change - solved

Wim Hooghwinkel - idtp wim at idtp.eu
Sat Jul 5 04:53:07 PDT 2008

Hi Fred,

I was referring to the help-tip, when mouse over the option in adobe printer
settings. I can not copy the help text, just made a screen shot. See
attached.

for the frame list, the help text:
"Checking this box causes PDf feation to rely exclusively on available
system fonts. If a document contains an embedded font that is not installed
on your computer, that font will be missing from the PDF.
Unchecking this box causes PDF creation to rely on system fonts and embedded
document fonts. The process takes longer and is usefull in those rare cases
where embedded document fonts are not installed on your computer."

So what happens with those documents is that I get a distiller error when
the box is checked. Unchecking the box gives no error. I use Open Type
fonts. Could it be that FrameMaker somehow renames the font shown in the Fm
font list in such a way that distiller doesn't understand it? According to
the help-tip it should be missing, but in stead it crashes.

The font Raleigh LT Std is used; The Open Type has four files: RaleighLtStd,
RaleighLtStd-Bold, RaleighLtStd-DemiBold and RaleighLtStd-Medium. When I
look at the font propertys, the Postscript name for the -Bold end the
-Medium font is the same (Raleigh Lt Std Medium). Same for plain and
Demi-Bold variant. In FrameMaker I only have Std and Std Medium, and I can
choose weight Bold or SemiBold. When writing this down it occurs to me that
there is room for conflicts indeed, but where does it go wrong? I got these
fonts from my client an, they have been using them for other publications as
well. As far as I can tell these are Adobe fonts.

If a font guru is listening, please explain ...

Vriendelijke groet,

Wim Hooghwinkel

Adobe Certified Expert (ACE) in FrameMaker

iDTP
International DTP and Documentation Consultancy

tel. +31652036811
 <mailto:info at idtp.eu> info at idtp.eu
www.idtp.eu