FM8 benefits

Fred Wersan fwersan at mak.com
Wed Jul 9 08:40:55 PDT 2008

If the primary reason to move to Frame 8 is to go structured and take
advantage of conditions using attributes, then I suggest they go
structured in 7.2 and use ABCM from West St. Consulting. Or go to FM8
for other reasons (like track changes) and still use ABCM. The frame
implementation of condition by attribute seems very clumsy to me. By
comparison ABCM (or Sourcerer) is much easier to use (and free).  And
for text insets, I suggest using Insets Plus (also from West. St. also
free.)

The big issue is not moving to FM8, it is moving to structured
FrameMaker. (which I think is a good thing, but will probably be more
costly to them in time and effort than buying the fm8 licenses.)

Fred
--
Fred Wersan
Senior Technical Writer