FM8 benefits

Gutierrez, Dorianne Dorianne.Gutierrez at PolarisLibrary.com
Tue Jul 8 12:31:52 PDT 2008

Vista compatibility.

-----Original Message-----
From: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Rene
Stephenson
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 3:18 PM
To: FrameUsers
Subject: FM8 benefits

Hi All,

I am working up a justification for a client to move from FM 7.2 to FM
8.0. Theirs is an unstructured FM environment with a shared-file
architecture that uses a lot of text insets and condition tags and
variables. I have told them that FM 8 would greatly simplify their
condition catalog due to the use of boolean expressions to show/hide
conditions, which would eliminate a lot of their "x+y" tags. But, since
they already got the unlimited undo (well, more or less) in FM 7,
they're not convinced that just the boolean conditions would be
sufficient to justify the expense. I'm wondering if there's something
else I'm missing, like being able to apply conditions to a column at a
time, rather than just complete rows or text within a table cell...?
Maybe there's something better about how FM 8 handles text insets?

It would help, I think, if they were a structured shop, because it seems
most of the FM 8 benefits are targeted to the structured use of FM...but
I'm happy to be corrected!

Thanks,

Rene L. Stephenson