change of fig order messes up fig count

Deirdre Reagan deirdre.reagan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 15:11:16 PDT 2008

Hi all:

FM 8.0, Windows XP

I have a book with four chapters.

Chapter One Numbering Properties, both from inside the chapter and in
the book, is set to Paragraph > Restart Paragraph Number.

Chapters Two, Three, and Four are set to Continue Numbering, both from
inside the document and from the book.

Each chapter starts with a figure.

The paragraph tags for the figure are:

Figure #
Figure Title

When I run the book, each figure numbers like it is supposed to:

Figure X1
Title

Figure X2
Title

Figure X3
Title

Figure X4
Title

It works perfectly.

But we want to switch the order of the figure # and the figure title.

When I go into Chapter One and make the switch (which includes
reformatting the Fig # paragraph tag from Top of Column to Anywhere --
the ONLY change I make) and run the book, I get:

Title
Figure X1

Figure X2
Title

Figure X3
Title

Figure X4
Title

When I make the exact same change in Chapter Two and run the book, I get:

Title
Figure X1

Title
Figure X2

Title
Figure X2

Title
Figure X3

The third chapter becomes X2 and won't update.

I've gone through every configuration I can think of, including
Importing Formats from Chapter One and Chapter Two into Chapter Three,
copying the content from Chapter Two and Three into new templates,
etc.

I've deleted Chapter Two and the problem moves on to Chapter Three and
Four.  So that would indicate that the setting causing the problem in
at the book level, right?

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me. I hope it's an easy fix!