Question for the experts - a problem in Acrobat 3D that is not aproblem in Acrobat 8 Pro

Hayward, Morgan (Bolton) mhayward at husky.ca
Fri Jul 18 07:06:01 PDT 2008

Hi Diane,

If you're unable to find a solution in Acrobat 3D and your documents are
structured, you can create a special master page for your front cover
and then apply it automatically based on a context label applied by your
EDD.  We use this to apply a "DRAFT" watermark to our documents before
they are saved as PDF, thus avoid any hassles with Acrobat.

All you need to do is the following:

1. In your EDD, create an attribute at the root of your title page with
values that represent the different stages.  We use "Draft" and
"Released", for instance.
2. Under the definition for your title/heading element, create a rule
that applies a special context label to the element when that new
attribute has a specific value.
3. Now go into your template, create a new master page (typically a copy
of the page used for the title page), and drop your watermark image or
text on the background layer.
4. Switch to the reference pages and tell FrameMaker to use the new
master page whenever the title element has that new context label.  This
is done in the StructMasterPageMaps table.

Once you've done this, all you need to do is set the attribute value in
your document, apply the master pages (this can be scripted), and print
your document to PDF.

In the end, this solution will add an extra step to the FrameMaker side
of your process, but it will free you from the extra steps you're taking
(or trying to take) with Acrobat.

Regards,
Morgan

Morgan Hayward