Thank You

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 21 12:59:34 PDT 2008

Hi FrameFolks,

I'm on a lot of lists but I agree with Deirdre, this is definitely a very
helpful list.  And considering that I've been on it for 16 years, I think
I'm a pretty good judge of it.

Deirdre,
MIF stands for Maker Interchange Format, an ASCII (text only) version of an
FM file.  If you save an FM file to MIF format, you can open the file in any
version of FrameMaker, even back to FM4 and maybe even FM3.  However, any
features in the FM file that were created by a later version may not be
displayed in an earlier version.  A MIF file can be searched and edited, but
I would not recommend editing unless you understand all the codes (like
HTML, sort of) and know exactly what you are doing.

DITA stands for Darwin Information Typing Architecture.  It is a format that
is used in structured FM.  On your system where you have installed FM, look
for a directory called Documents.  In that directory, you will find a manual
called DITA_Starter_Kit.pdf.  It explains what DITA is and more.  It also
contains a document caled MIF_Reference that will tell you more about MIF.

Hope this helps,
Diane Gaskill
Hitachi Data Systems