Thank You

Syed.Hosain at aeris.net Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Mon Jul 21 13:18:45 PDT 2008

Hi, Deirdre.

FWIW, I am on very few lists, but I find that reading this one is pretty
essential. I spend about 50% of my time working on technical documents
(using FrameMaker, of course) and I read every e-mail from this list,
since it sometimes relates to something I need to know/learn about -
maybe not immediately, but for the future.

MIF = Maker Interchange Format ... used by FrameMaker to output the
binary FM files in a known "readable" format. Allows you to see what is
inside the FM files, edit (carefully!) the files to fix things, etc.

DITA = Darwin Information Typing Architecture ... Wikipedia has a
semi-decent explanation of what this is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Information_Typing_Architecture.

FWIW, I don't use DITA (or Structured FM ... yet) since I am an
individual writer and can re-use my work easily enough anyway, with a
consistent format, etc. If we get larger, with multi-person writing
projects, then it may make sense for us.