OT: question about usage

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Wed Jul 23 13:24:34 PDT 2008

Hi Deirdre,

I tend to refer to numbers as either "numbers" or "arabic numbers,"
depending on whether I am also using "roman numerals." Alphabetical
characters I refer to as "lowercase letters" or "uppercase letters,"
with the obvious distinctions.

It's all very interesting isn't it? Yes, alpha, beta, etc. are greek
but we use a combination of roman and sanscrit  for the characters. I
guess during Peter the Great's reign they had the benefit of hindsight
when devising a written character form for the Russian people ;)

Alan