Color shift in Distiller 8 PDF output

Jim Ramsay jramsay at indra.com
Thu Jul 24 11:00:12 PDT 2008

A reviewer noticed a shift in the color of the header and footer rule in
PDF output from FrameMaker. I'm using Acrobat Pro 8.1.2 and FrameMaker
7.2 on a Windows XP laptop. The rule line is Hex 99cc33 green in our
FrameMaker templates, and it comes out as 96fc24 lime green in the PDF,
according to the Photoshop Elements color sampler. I'm using File>Save
As in the book file to generate the PDF.

The really strange thing is that I can get the correct 99cc33 color in
the PDF if I distill the same book file on another XP computer running
FrameMaker 7.1 and Acrobat Pro 7.0.9, again using File>Save As. Both
Distillers are using the same Standard job options (I confirmed that all
the displayed settings are the same), and Adobe PDF is the default
printer on both machines. So I have a workaround (use only the other
computer to generate the PDF), but I wonder if anyone can explain what's
going on.

Thanks,
Jim Ramsay
Pillar Data Systems