Greek Font hassles

Paul Kent jopakent at comcast.net
Thu Jul 31 10:15:14 PDT 2008

Windows XP Pro/Frame 7.2 (Illustrator 9 I think)

I've got a project that uses two greek fonts. I installed them using the standard Windows fonts UI and Frame seems to be recognizing them fine. However, when I copy in text from a Word document, I'm having a little stress. It seems like using Copy|Paste|Special|RTF provides a good result. I changed all of my style definitions to use the Greek fonts and the text is now coming in fine.

The exceptions are there tho. First, Any style that has text in the autonumering (Figure x, Table x, Note: etc.). For these, I've had to take the autonumbering out because when I paste in the Greek word for Figure or Note, it comes through with gibberish characters. Is there a way to get the autonumbering to work? This manual is very short and has no index, but I bet that the Index dialog boxes will do the same thing when I paste in a translated string that uses Greek characters. I'm guessing that I need to change the active keyboard character set while I work on this job. Is that heading in the right direction?

Another problem is that my (Illustrator source) figures include text call outs. Last night I tried pasting the translations into Illustrator, but Arial Greek for some reason doesn't show in the list of available fonts.

I found that I could work around by creating callouts in Photoshop (for some reason the characters paste in OK). As I type this, it occurs to me that it would be smarter to create the callouts in Frame text boxes. I'll get better control and resolution.  I'm wondering though if anyone has an idea about why only Greek MT Dual shows up (and why it doesn't help) and why Arial Greek doesn't show up in the list of available Illustrator fonts.

Thanks in advance for whatever light you can shed on this project.

Regards,

J. Paul Kent