Pantone C vs CVC / Screen printing

mathieu jacquet bobitch at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 5 03:03:21 PDT 2008

Hi all,

a client sent me his color guide containing the color definitions he uses for logos, graphical objects, etc.

He uses mainly the following blue and purple definitions :

. PANTONE  5395 C (dark blue) / CMYK (100, 44, 0, 76)
. PANTONE 5425 C (light blue) / CMYK (30, 4, 0, 31)
. PANTONE 246 C (purple) / CMYK (29, 90, 0, 0)

I have created a line in Adobe illustrator using the Pantone 246 C colour and imported it in the reference pages of my FrameMaker doc to use it as a graphical frame to be called by a paragraph tag ("frame below"...not sure, I'm using a French version).

When I print to pdf, the colour of the line matches perfectly that of the company logo, which is imported as .eps in my template.

Now, I have created a paragraph tag. I want its color to be identical to that of the line and logo, which is PANTONE 246 C. I have looked into the FrameMaker colour library and found a Pantone 246 CVC, which is, as I have read here and there, identical to 246 C but for computer video, whereas the 246 C is for coated paper printing.

In CMYK terms, the two colors are different, since one (246 C) is CMYK (29, 90, 0, 0) and the other (246 CVC) is CMYK (30, 91, 0, 0) but on the FM interface, they look identical. So so far so good, I have set the color of the pragraph tag to Pantone 246 CVC.

The problem is that when I print to pdf, the colours are different...

Where can the problem come from. From my Adobe job options?
The manuel won't be printed, only read on screen: which option or which Adobe PDF color settings am I supposed to use?

Thank you very much for your help,

Mathieu.