FM8 and Acrobat Pro 9

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Sat Jun 7 14:48:17 PDT 2008

Although Adobe's installers do not prevent Reader and Acrobat from
being installed in parallel, I MOST STRONGLY RECOMMEND AGAINST
such installations. Unless you are very technically sophisticated,
you are likely not to get the "desired results" when trying to
maintain such an installation.

Furthermore, I contend that the commonly-expressed reason for trying
to have such installations does not conform to good engineering or
QA discipline. The idea of having a copy of Reader to "see what a
typical user will see when opening up a PDF file" really requires
that you have Reader installed on a bare-bones system - actually
a non-particularly well-endowed (in terms of CPU speed, memory,
disk, and screen size) system with only the officially-installed
Windows system fonts. For such testing, you would be much better
off with an old, slow system with the simplest OS install, possibly
multiple OS versions and Reader versions in separate partitions and/or
running under VMWare.

        - Dov