table and figure captions

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed Jun 11 08:25:07 PDT 2008

Jerilynne Knight wrote:
> Set up part 1: Create a paragraph tag to hold the anchored graphic
> I use separate tags for many things, including anchored tables and anchored
> graphics because it provides more control when converting to other formats,
> such as help. In Frame 7.x, the smallest font size is 2 points, so I use
> that to take up as little extra space as possible. ...

Jerilynne,

Very thorough instructions!  But there's a way to avoid *any* extra
space for the container pgf:  set its Space Below to a negative number,
and set the Table's Space Above to the same negative number.  The table
will overlap the containing pgf exactly, without even a 2-pt gap.

The negative number can be any value as long as its absolute value is
larger than the font size of the containing pgf.

This method has the second advantage of leaving the containing pgf's
pilcrow symbol visible (a 2-pt pilcrow is not).  You can set a font
colour for the containing pgf as well, to make the pilcrow stand out
even more -- very useful when the pgf is empty.

Best regards,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

Lucy: Charlie Brown, life is like a deck chair on a cruise ship.
Passengers open up these canvas deck chairs so they can sit in the sun.
Some people place their chairs facing the rear of the ship so they can
see where they've been. Other people face their chairs forward -- they
want to see where they're going. On the cruise ship of life, which way
is your deck chair facing?

Charlie Brown: "I've never been able to get one unfolded."

-- Charles Schulz