Overrides

Tue Jun 17 07:58:32 PDT 2008

Leah Smaller wrote:

> I never use manual overrides for formatting. But I have noticed that
when
> the last word (right before the pilcrow) has a special character
format,
> the pgf name is shown with an asterisk . This asterisk, of course,
> signifies a format override for that specific paragraph. If I leave a
blank
> space between the last word and the pilcrow, the asterisk does not
appear.

> Why does this issue bother me ?
> 1) I don't like a perfectly good pgf, with no overrides, displayed as
if
> there are overrides.
> 2) Leaving a blank space between the character formatted word and the
> pilcrow is not a good workaround because spell checker picks it up as
> "extra space" and that adds many more mouse clicks to the workday.
>
> Comments? Solutions?

I always type a space (just one) at the end of a sentence, and that
includes at the end of a paragraph. Spell checker never flags these (and
yes, I do have it set to find extra spaces), and it shouldn't -- a
single space after the last sentence in a pgf isn't "extra."

The only reason I can think of that spell checker would flag that space
is if you include "\p" in the Find Space Before entries.

I like consistently having a space before the pilcrow for several
reasons:

-- If I merge pgfs (delete the pilcrow), that space needs to be there to
separate the now-adjacent sentences.

-- As you noted, separating a char format from the pilcrow prevents a
pgf override (due to an FM bug).

-- Similarly, separating a text inset from the pilcrow of its
"container" pgf prevents that pgf from taking on the formatting of the
first pgf in the text inset (another FM bug).

I see now downside to typing that space, and no reason to end sentences
differently depending on where in the pgf they occur.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer