FrameMaker on Windows - Issues Discussed Today

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Fri Jun 20 13:37:48 PDT 2008

There is no big secret as to how I justify my configurations. It is fairly simple.

(1)     I buy systems that I plan to use as primary systems for approximately four
years although Adobe's corporate policy allows engineers to replace systems on a
two or three year basis. I would rather have a system now that really screams and
that in four years from only begins to show its age in terms of performance.

(2)     I do much more that respond to e-mails or simply write. I do some fairly
compute and disk-intensive work with RIP software and graphically-intensive documents
with InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop all while monitoring e-mail and various web sites.
You need muscle machines (except for the video card) for to reasonably accomplish this.

(3)     When you consider the cost differential of a muscle system versus a wimp system
on a cost per day basis, especially if I use the system for four years, the extra cost is really
not a big issue. Unfortunately, most "DIlbertian" pointy-haired managers and bean counter
types can't see beyond the tips of their noses when it comes to looking at long term cost
issues like this.

(4)     I never beg for my configuration - I tell'em what I need!   :)

        - Dov