OT: Is there an easy way to manage graphics shared in many FM files?

martin.smith at golehtek.com martin.smith at golehtek.com
Wed Mar 5 12:18:38 PST 2008

Hi Rene,

Do you have a license for FrameScript at your company, by any chance?
FrameScript is a high level scripting language available from Finite
Matters Limited (http://www.framescript.com) that makes it possible to
extend the capabilities of Adobe FrameMaker. If you would like to try
out FrameScript, you can download a trial version from the FML web site.

I have a freely available script on my personal web site
(http://www.golehtek.com) called BookMover that organizes the imported
graphics in a FrameMaker book under a graphics directory, further
organized by chapter.

Using FrameScript, it would be fairly simple to generate reports about
the imported graphics in your documents, and develop an interface for
tracking and managing the graphics. If you can provide me with more
information about what you are trying to achieve, I can give you an
estimate about the amount of work involved.

Regarding generating graphics from the original source files, this may
also be possible. I have achieved really nice results using
AutoImager. AutoImager is an inexpensive graphics conversion program
that can produce vector and raster graphics from more than 120 common
graphic formats. You can control AutoImager from within FrameScript,
making it possible to build an end-to-end solution for graphics
conversion and management. More information about AutoImager is
available from http://www.mystikmedia.com/autoimager.asp.

I use AutoImager in conjunction with WebWorks ePublisher Pro so users
can enlarge or reduce the graphics in my on-line help systems without
leaving the current topic. This also solves the problems that occur
when an anchored frame contains more than one graphic, or a
combination of graphics and annotations.

I hope this gives you some ideas to ponder.

Feel free to contact me any time with any additional questions.

Best regards,

Martin

Martin R. Smith
President: GolehTek, LLC