importing/structuring docx into FrameMaker?

martin.smith at golehtek.com martin.smith at golehtek.com
Wed Mar 12 07:31:41 PDT 2008

Hi Jacob,

I have used the table mapping method to migrate unstructured content
into structured FrameMaker, though this method does have limitations.
It works well if your original documents are consistently formatted
throughout. Once the migration is complete, you still have some
cleanup work to do in terms of defining the hierarchical relationships
between elements in your final, structured document.

I have had to migrate literally thousands of pages of legacy content
to structured FrameMaker, and consequently I developed an alternate
approach. I wrote a wizard in the FrameScript language that reads in
your EDD and then allows you to  interactively structure your content.
The wizard positions your source and destination documents
side-by-side on the screen, and advances through your source document
one paragraph at a time.  Using the wizard, you can select from a list
of valid elements to structure each paragraph. This approach allows
you to copy and structure your content at the same time.

The wizard migrates all referenced graphics, FrameMaker graphic
objects, and index markers present in the original document.

More information about this approach is available on my web site at
http://www.golehtek.com.

I plan on offering a freely-available version of this wizard for
download in the near future.

Meanwhile, if you are interested in using the wizard, contact me off
list and I will send it to you. Note that you will need FrameScript to
run the wizard. If you don?t already have FrameScript, a trial version
is available on the Finite Matters Limited web site at
http://www.framescript.com.

Best regards,

Martin

Martin R. Smith