Recovery

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 14 14:01:15 PDT 2008

Responding to Les Winberg, Art Campbell wrote:
> I'd check the file modification times and file sizes for large
> differences, but in general, open the recovered version.
>
> If there's missing info, open the original's backup copy, assuming you
> have auto backups turned on. And then open the original. (The opening
> order is important, so you don't overwrite the backup.)
>
> If necessary, use the compare utility, but in most cases you'll either
> remember what you were working on or notice chunks of missing info.

I feel compelled to once again point out that the .backup files produced
by FrameMaker are not real backups. A file with the .backup secondary
extension is nothing more nor less than the last-saved version of the
document with a secondary filename extension. If you only go 10 minutes
between saves (and who of us ever saves *that* frequently), the
"backup" might be quite fresh. But the reality is that it is always one save
(i.e., one set of edits) behind the primary file.

A recover file, on the other hand, generally represents fresher content
than the primary file, but might be corrupted in some way because
it represents the state of the file close to the time that FrameMaker
"unexpectedly exited" (i.e., crashed).