Acrobat Options...

Lester C. Smalley lsmalley at infocon.com
Thu Mar 27 15:44:02 PDT 2008

Jacob,

I actually agree with you.  But to make my situation clear, it is not a vendor (as in a print house or service bureau) taking the PDF and generating hard-copy pages from it, rather it is individual users who get the document, print it and over whom I have no control.

That being said, I do wish there were a way to disable for this document (or even only the one specific page) the Acrobat option to scale the pages to fit the user's chosen output device and instead print the page at the exact original size.  Unless the printer is set up with very small paper, the included diagram will print at 100% original size and not suffer clipping at the margins, as it is approx 5.75" x 7.25" and centered on a standard US Letter (8.5 x 11 inch) page in the PDF.

But as the different users' output device may have different print regions/physical margins, the default in Acrobat is to scale the US Letter page to fit within the printable area, which distorts the dimensions and makes the layout diagram functionally useless.

To end this discussion: it appears there is no option which can absolutely enforce this behavior in Acrobat.  The best suggestion is to include an accurate scale and/or dimensions along with the diagram, and let the user make adjustments to correct for the printer scaling the output if they did not follow the other instructions to turn off the scaling in the viewer when printing this file.

I will see what Richard Comb's and Shlomo Peret's reported as a option for Acrobat 7 that may help, and especially the idea of a pop-up message via JavaScript upon printing.  But the PDF is (currently) designed for use by all versions of Acrobat.  Of course, it would not be the worst thing in the world if user's had to get the latest version of the reader...

- Lester
Lester C. Smalley              Email: lsmalley AT infocon DOT com
Information Consultants, Inc.  Phone: 302-239-2942 FAX: 302-239-1712
Yorklyn, DE  19736               Web: www.infocon.com