Read/Write Rules Questions

Lin Surasky Lin.Surasky at retalix.com
Mon Mar 31 16:34:03 PDT 2008

Hi all-

1.    Is there a way to write a r/w rule so that an element in the
incoming XML markup can become an attribute AND marker text in the
FrameMaker document?
I'm trying to use the internal name of a field as both an attribute of
the field name and as the marker text of a custom marker called FileName
so that when I generate HTML using MIF2Go, the HTML filenames will be
the internal field names as they appear in the marker text. I have the
line

attribute "internalName" is fm attribute "internalName";

to accomplish the first part, but I'm not sure how to get the attribute
value into the marker text, nor whether it's possible to even do this,
nor whether I can have both at once.

2.    This is a very simple document: The main elements are the
FieldName and the FieldDefinition. However, the text of the field name
and definition in the source XML are not with their aptly-named
elements, but with their respective (identically-named) language
elements. So, for example, instead of
<Field internalName="XYZ_Codifed_Field_Name" language="English">
   <FieldName>Customer ID</FieldName>
   <FieldDefinition>The system-generated identification number for the
customer.</FieldDefinition>
</FIeld>

we have
<Field internalName="XYZ_Codified_Field_Name">
   <FieldName>
      < Language code=English>Customer ID</Language>
   </FieldName>
   <FieldDefinition>
      < Language code=English>The system-generated identification number
for the customer.</Language>
   </FieldDefinition>
</Field>

Is there any way to work with what I want in the first scenario and
still be able to import and possibly export back out to the second? Or
do I just have to mirror the structure I'm given?

Thanks for any inisight!
Lin