Remove Overrides...doesn't

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Fri May 2 13:15:58 PDT 2008

Combs, Richard wrote:
> Art Campbell wrote:
>
>> Also, look for hidden objects on the body (and the master) page that
>> may be accurately triggering this. For instance, if there's a frame
>> hidden in a layer under your main text frame, you wouldn't normally
>> see it. Or if a background frame got dragged out of place by mistake
>> and hidden.
>
> My memory is hazy (one of the symptoms of advanced age), but I recall
> having William's problem back in another century. The cause, IIRC, was
> that some of my body pages had two text frames on top of each other. The
> underneath one came from the master page; the one on top contained the
> main text flow, and I don't know where it came from. :-}
>
> To fix it, I think I (1) saved a backup copy of the file, (2) deleted
> the entire text flow (reducing the file to two pages), (3) deleted the
> text frames that weren't coming from the master pages (and maybe
> reapplied the master pages), and then (4) pasted in the main text flow
> from the backup copy.
>
> Sorry I can't provide more detail. I don't recall if I ever figured out
> how it happened, but the problem seems to be a relatively rare one, if
> that's any consolation. :-)

Here's a possible explanation for the appearance of your duplicate
frames (as well as other accidentally duplicated items):

Holding down the CTRL key changes the pointer from the solid "smart
select" arrow to the hollow "select object" arrow.  (These are the top
two tools on the graphics tool palette.)  Smart Select selects either
text or objects depending on proximity; Select Object does not select text.

You must use the Select Object tool to select your main text frame, and
it's convenient to toggle to it by holding CTRL when selecting (rather
than explicitly choosing the tool from the palette).  However,
*dragging* a frame or other object while holding down CTRL creates a
duplicate of the selection, and moves that, not the original.

So if you have a slight wrist-stutter when you CTRL-click a text frame,
you can end up with a duplicate, perfectly overlaid on your main flow
frame, and thus the problems you have described.

Learned from sad experience ;-)

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"A man's screech should exceed his rasp, or what's a violin for?"

--another Rogers Original