Long Figure Titles in FrameMaker 7.2 Windows

Tue May 13 07:58:41 PDT 2008

Brenda Waltermeyer wrote:

> {Note resent since the red text was trashed in the list server}

The list doesn't accept HTML, RTF, or attachments -- only plain text. This is to protect list members from potentially harmful messages.

> I have a document that has very long Figure Titles, but the author only
> wants part of the title in the List of Figures when it is generated. Is
> there a way to do this so I don¹t have to do it manually every time I
> generate the list.
>
> For Example:
>
> Example of Clutter Doppler Spectrum Computed from Original Lipa and
> Barrick
> Code for a SWH of 6 ft from 35 Relative to the Radar Look Direction,
> Showing
> that the Positive Doppler Peak Due to First-Order Bragg Scattering is
> Larger
> in Amplitudes than the Negative Peak Due to Increased Wave Amplitudes
> Propagating Towards the Radar
>
> What should appear in the List of Figures: (as you can see deleted text is
> not continuous in the title)
>
> Example of Clutter Doppler Spectrum (deleted text) for a SWH of 6 ft from
> 35
> Relative to the Radar Look Direction (deleted text)
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My first idea is to convince the author that this is really dumb. Instead of an absurdly long Figure Title pgf, each figure could have a short Figure Title pgf followed by a Figure Caption pgf:

"Figure 8-23: A Short Identifying Title for This Figure

"A long-winded explanation of the figure, how it was created, and what it looks like. This might go on for several lines. The title might be bold, and this pgf the same font, but not bold. Or this one might be a smaller font. It would, of course, be set to Keep With Previous."

My second idea is that you could still use Art's suggestion of a run-in head, but you'd need multiple run-in heads to accommodate the discontinuous inclusions/deletions. For instance, for the example you cite, you'd need 4 pgfs:

<FigTitle1>Example of Clutter Doppler Spectrum <FigTitle2>Computed from Original Lipa and Barrick Code <FigTitle3>for a SWH of 6 ft from 35 Relative to the Radar Look Direction<FigTitle4>, Showing that the Positive Doppler Peak Due to First-Order Bragg Scattering is Larger in Amplitudes than the Negative Peak Due to Increased Wave Amplitudes Propagating Towards the Radar

FigTitle1-3 are run-in heads. FigTitle1 and FigTitle3 are both included in the LOF spec on the ref page. You could accommodate additional fragmentation with additional tags, but this gets pretty absurd pretty fast. :-)

HTH!

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer