FrameMaker 8.0.3 Update Now Available (POSSIBLE WORKAROUND)

Hedley Finger hfinger at handholding.com.au
Wed May 14 18:58:51 PDT 2008

<<SENT THIS JUST TO LINDA BECAUSE OF BEHAVIOUR WHEN YOU HIT REPLY
BUTTON.  CAN SOMEONE RECONFIGURE THIS LIST SO REPLY GOES TO LIST.
SHOULD WE REALLY HAVE TO HIT REPLY-TO-ALL?>>

Linda and others:

> Anyone else having trouble getting this update to install?
>
> I've tried multiple times, including from Acrobat after completely shutting
> down my system and every time it says that it detects that FM is open and
> cannot install. At least twice, FM was definitely not open.

I tried using the updater from FrameMaker while it was running.  No
good.  Next time, when the updater started, I killed FM first, then
continued.  No good.

Finally I poked around to find where the downloaded files were stored,
hoping that I could just run a setup.exe or similar.  Well, on my
machine they are saved to C:\Documents and Settings\<userName>\Local
Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Updater5\Install.  In this folder was a
folder named "framemaker801-mul" (for version 8.0.1, right? Wrong).  I
deleted this folder, checked in Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) that
there was no headless FrameMaker.exe process running, booted Acrobat,
and ran the updater from that.

Guess what?  The framemaker801-mul/ folder was restored but at least the
update ran to completion properly.  (Adobe lurkers: should that be
"framemaker803-mul" and does it matter anyway?)

Regards,
Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Fax. (call phone first)
Mob. (cell) +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger" <hfinger at handholding.com.au>