What version of Frame to Get Started ?

Alan Houser arh at groupwellesley.com
Thu May 15 07:07:57 PDT 2008

If you learn with FrameMaker version 5.5 and migrate to FrameMaker 8,
the concepts, commands, dialogs, and user interface will remain largely
familiar for unstructured authoring. You will miss various bells and
whistles that have been added, and will lack experience with structured
authoring and DITA. This may or may not be an issue. Although the
conventional wisdom may be that "structure/DITA is the future", I'm
seeing as many new unstructured deployments as I ever have in the past.

Adobe has a very liberal upgrade policy for FrameMaker. Any previous
version is eligible for the current upgrade price of $299USD. I would
second Rick Quatro's recommendation to purchase an upgrade, if
economically feasible for you. If not, go with 7.2.

-Alan
---

Alan Houser, President
Group Wellesley, Inc.