creating a paragraph element in a cell

Deirdre Reagan deirdre.reagan at gmail.com
Thu May 15 11:01:04 PDT 2008

Hi all!

I've reached the edge of my knowledge.  I'm using FM 8 in Windows Professional.

I'm in a table, working within cells.  Also, I am extremely new at FM,
so think of me as a total newbie, not someone who is making educated
choices.

Here's what the table currently looks like:

. SUPPORT ASSY-WIRE
   ATTACHING PARTS
. . DECAL -
. . DECALSET

Ok.

I want it to look like this:

. SUPPORT ASSY-WIRE
   ATTACHING PARTS
. . DECAL -
        PLACARD CONTENT:
        E1-1
. . DECALSET

So I need to create two new formats, one for the words "Placard
Content:" and one for the actual content (E1-1) and add them to the
Paragraph Designer. This is a template and we want to be able to use
these two formats over and over again.

I click in an empty cell and make sure the currrent format is CellBody
(that's the default setting, right?).  I open the Paragraph Designer,
go to Commands, and create a new format called Placard Content.

Then I go to Table Cell and change Cell Margin: Left: From Table
Format, Plus: from 0.0 pt to 24 pt.  I do that because that's the only
way I have figured out how to move the text over so it is aligned with
the "C" in DECAL.  If there's a better way, please let me know.

I hit Update All.

Then I go to Numbering and in Autonumber Format:, I write PLACARD CONTENT:

I hit Update All.

Then I hit save.

It works!  A format called PLACARD CONTENT appears in the Paragraph
Designer, and when I click it, the cell is populated with the phrase
"PLACARD CONTENT:" and it's aligned with the "C" in DECAL.

But the original format for CellBody has also changed.  When I click
on CellBody so I can create my next format, the cursor becomes aligned
with PLACARD CONENT, not with the left margin.  However, in Table
Cell, the Cell Margin: Left: From Table Format, Plus: reads 0.0, not
24.

When I save the document and close it then reopen it, CellBody returns
to normal.  Do I really need to save and close my document each time I
create a new format?  I think that's a bit weird.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Deirdre