default "reply-to-all" (was Re: FrameMaker 8.0.3 Update NowAvailable (POSSIBLE WORKAROUND))

Fri May 16 07:11:15 PDT 2008

Paul Findon wrote:

> On 15 May 2008, at 04:25, Jeremy H. Griffith wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 14 May 2008 22:05:47 -0400, Alan Houser
> > <arh at groupwellesley.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Which is worse? --
> >>
> >> - You reply to a message on the list. Assuming that you are
> >> replying to
> >> the sender, you include information that is personal, privileged,
or
> >> inappropriate-for-public-consumption. Your reply goes to the entire
> >> list. The damage is done.
> >>
> >> - You reply to a message on the list. It goes to the sender. With
two
> >> mouse clicks, you correct the oversight and direct your reply to
> >> the list.
> >>
> >> A default "reply-to-all" listserv configuration is evil.
> >
> > Quite right.  But it's worse than that.  A list with reply-to-all
>
> I disagree.
>
> Hedley is not asking for a "reply-to-all." What he, I and, no doubt,
> others want is "reply-to-list." In other words, when you click your
> Reply button, by default, messages are addressed to the list.

You're making a distinction without a difference. Alan and Jeremy
weren't speaking _literally_ about "reply-to-all," but _functionally_.
Your "reply-to-list" goes to everyone on the list, so it functions
exactly as Alan described.

You haven't countered Alan's argument, just stated that you prefer
something different. OK, noted. :-)

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer