Fwd: Booklet function with Framemaker

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Tue May 20 04:07:46 PDT 2008

The usual way to do this is to paginate the file normally and print
the file to PDF. Then use pre-press tools such as Quite Imposing
(there are many others that do the same thing) to set up the
imposition pattern. Note that it is a pre-press tool.

Most FM users can get into trouble with this if they're doing the work
for a commercial printer because the printer knows his equipment and
its required workflow better than the author. Because the author
doesn't work with the printer's equipment and is attempting to do a
job for which they aren't qualified, the author is likely to create
more work for the printer instead of less.

It's probably safe if you're designing a booklet that you think
someone would download from a www site and print on a home printer or
if you're printing a few copies for yourself on your own printer. But
even there you're likely to create a file that many people can't print
accurately because printer drivers print multi-page duplex files in
different ways. Again, unless you know the equipment and software in
use, it's hard to predict the right imposition pattern.

Cheers,
Art

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
 No disclaimers apply.