Haven't we learnt anything about usability? [was"Re: default"reply-to-all" "]

Tue May 20 07:34:51 PDT 2008

Mike Bradley wrote:

> Actually, it doesn't give us the effect we want at all. Not that I'm
> religious
> about it, but with Reply to All, the sender of the message to which I
> reply gets
> two copies, one sent to him/her and one to the list. This doubles the
> Internet
> traffic needlessly, whereas Reply to List sends only one message.
> Sometimes, as
> with this message, it quadruples the Internet traffic, because there
were
> 3 cc's
> on the posting.
>
> Personally, I find getting duplicate replies annoying and I think
sending
> them
> is rude, but if everyone who posts messages doesn't mind getting
duplicate
> replies, so be it.

You can avoid getting those duplicates by changing your list membership
settings. Log into your mailing list account using the personalized URL
at the bottom of list messages to you. Scroll down to the gray table of
list options. The last option is:

"Avoid duplicate copies of messages?

"When you are listed explicitly in the To: or Cc: headers of a list
message, you can opt to not receive another copy from the mailing list.
Select Yes to avoid receiving copies from the mailing list; select No to
receive copies."

Set this to Yes and click Submit My Changes.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer