roundtrip documentation and help (Framemaker/Robohelp - chickenoregg?

Kelly McDaniel kmcdaniel at pavtech.com
Wed May 21 11:07:50 PDT 2008

IMHO roundtrip means: With two or more applications, changes made to a
project in one application are reflected in both, and it implies that
each application offers some exclusive functionality, and that there is
some translation of some sort that transpires between the applications
so that the changes reflected in the "other" application are rendered in
that application's native method. So stated, roundtrip does not mean
"When I press the W key here, make a W in both places."

This is purely speculative, but I bet the origin is in the UML world.
That's the only place I've heard the term used where it actually makes
sense. In UML, roundtrip describes a development environment
functionality that enables a user to create a code block in one
application that is rendered as a graphic element in another
application, and create a graphic element that is rendered as a block of
code. In UML, it's handy to see a graphic model of your modeling
language code. It's likewise handy to create a new object in the graphic
model, connect the new object to the existing structure, and have the
development environment add the basic code AIBM. Roundtrip means that
you are working on one thing that is rendered in more than one way.
Apparently, Adobe marketing got hold of the term roundtrip.

RoboHelp is an authoring and a limited-functionality publishing tool
combined, where FrameMaker is an authoring tool. When you point RoboHelp
to a FrameMaker project, RoboHelp creates it's own copy. The integration
of the two is incomplete. The term roundtrip should not be used to
describe the current functionality...Kelly.