long target names in xref dialog

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Nov 11 11:18:04 PST 2008

Laurie Little wrote:
> We have a document that is set up with the H1s as the menu path name (so as
> to facilitate auto-population of  online help).
>
> Some of these paths are quite long, with the result that the targets listed
> in the cross-reference dialog are indistinguishable because many start the
> same way, and the dialog box is not resizable.
>
> We have identified a few workarounds for this, including manually creating
> distinct cross-reference markers in the text, or (less desirable for this
> project) changing the structure of the H1s.
>
> Does anyone have any other ideas?
> Thanks,

You could use a Resource Editor like http://angusj.com/resourcehacker/
to resize your x-ref_main dialog box to accommodate longer names.

Make a backup of fmdlg.dll in Program Files > Adobe > Framemaker >
fminit before you mess with it though!

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If
we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people
for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love
of power."

  — P.J. O’Rourke