Spot color generating process plates

Jacob Schäffer js at grafikhuset.dk
Mon Nov 17 12:03:11 PST 2008

Donna,

I forgot to mention: Your problem is that your PMS032 color is converted to RGB at PDF creation time. If your Distiller Joboptions is set to "Convert to CMYK" the RGB colors that Framemaker output will likely be converted to some "managed" CMYK composition, i.e. a re-calculated composition coming from a lossy, canonical CMYK -> RGB conversion caused by Famemaker and then again from a new RGB -> CMYK conversion caused by Distiller. This happens basically because Framemaker on Windows can't pass on SPOT colors on directly, and actually download RGB colors to the PostScript stream that later ends up as PDF.

So, with Publi PDF you'll *NEED* to set a queue up for automatic color map creation (right-click the "System Tray Icon" to do it). When the Edit Colormaps dialog appear you will need to remap the found RGB color(s) -- several variants may occur -- to a SPOT color or tint hereof.

Feel free to contact me off-list (or call my cell phone) if you need help with this. The problem you are facing is very simple to deal with when you've learned how the Publi PDF Optimizer actually works (the learning curve may be quite steep at first sight, unfortunately), but I'll do my very best to navigate you around.

There are quite a few Publi PDF users in the Framers community. Speak up, if you have something too add.

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Jacob Schäffer  |  Chief Developer
Paradis Allé 22, Ramløse
DK-3200 Helsinge, Denmark