Single sourcing 2 manuals and one help

susan.mcdonald at teradyne.com susan.mcdonald at teradyne.com
Thu Nov 20 07:06:53 PST 2008

I would suggest using 1 book file for the online output and 1 book file
for the paper output.

When I output multiple print versions of source files, I have a unique
book file and cover for each output version. In each individual cover, I
set the variables and conditions. Files may appear in multiple books.

To build a particular version, I open that book file, open all the books
within that book file, then import the variables and conditions from the
cover into all the other files in the book.

I haven't done any work outputting to online Help from Frame, so can't
help you with that.

Good luck!

Susan McDonald, Technical Writer
Teradyne, Inc.
susan.mcdonald at teradyne.com
978-370-1429

"Andersen, Verner Engell VEA" <verner.andersen at radiometer.dk> asked:

I am single-sourcing 2 paper manuals and one online help in one. The
online help is implemented in Webworks Publisher where you globally can
define what conditions to hide and what to show.

.
.
.

I have the following output combinations:

online + release 14
online + release 15
Paper + release 14 + variant a  (as either conditional text or
variables)
Paper + release 15 + variant b (as either conditional text or variables)

Some of the chapters only belong to the paper manual.

I believe that the foolproof thing is to import all conditions to all
files in the book and set the whole book to the various output
combinations.

On the other and it seems a bit superfluos to have files with
conditional text definitions that are not used.