Single sourcing 2 manuals and one help

Laurie Little llittle at words-tw.com
Fri Nov 21 06:38:04 PST 2008

I have a somewhat similar monster project. Here's what I do:

There are two versions of the manual, one with the full suite, and one
without a module. Most of that module's info is covered in a few chapters,
so I have two books to control which chapters are included. In the common
chapters, there is some module-specific content, so there is a condition
called Module_only and notModule.

On top of all this, there are some province-specific differences, which are
also handled by conditions. (There is also some duplication required to
handle translation issues, but that's another story!).  All conditions are
in all chapters, just to keep it simple.

AND...there are variables that are defined differently according to
province.

SO...I have a separate Frame file for each province and version, which
contains the variables and condition settings required for that output. For
example, ON_Module, ON_noModule, BC_Module, BC_noModule, etc.

I import the variables and conditional text settings only from the
appropriate settings file into all chapters of the appropriate book.

HTH,