character tags affecting PDF bookmarks

Jeff Schweiner schween at cray.com
Wed Nov 26 08:52:25 PST 2008

I have an FM book with the normal TOC, LOT, LOF auto-generated files.  I
save the book as PDF.  In the Bookmarks pane of the resulting PDF file,
each line in the TOC, LOT, and LOF are active PDF hyperlinks and work as
expected with one exception.

If my Headings (used in TOC), TableTitle (LOT), or FigureTitle (LOF)
paragraph tags in my source FM files have a character tag applied to it,
only part of line in the PDF file remains an active hyperlink.  It seems
like the hyperlink works from the start of the line, only up to where
the character tag is applied.  For example,  suppose I have a TableTitle
tag with the text "Configuration Options."  The entry in the
auto-generated LOT would be:

Table 1: Configuration Options . . . . . 2

With no character tag applied to this line, the entire line is an active
hyperlink in the PDF file.

If I apply a "red" character tag to the entire line in the source FM
file, "Table 1: " remains an active hyperlink and is colored black,
"Configuration Options . . 2" is red and is no longer an active
hyperlink in the PDF file.  (I assume "Table 1:" still works since it is
uses autonumbering.)

If I apply a "red" character tag to just the word Options, "Table 1:
Configuration" is black and an active hyperlink, "Options . . 2" is red
and not a hyperlink.

If I generate a PDF file of just the chapter file (rather than a
book-level PDF), applying a character tag to the TableTitle has no
effect on the PDF bookmark (color or what works as a hyperlink).

Can anyone explain this behavior?  Why do character tags affect the PDF
bookmarks only when the PDF is generated from the .book file, and not
when I generate a PDF from the single file.  I don't see anything in the
PDF Options for controlling this

I'm running FM8.0p277 on Windows XP.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jeff Schweiner