character tags affecting PDF bookmarks

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Sat Nov 29 23:32:47 PST 2008

Jeff,

>I have an FM book with the normal TOC, LOT, LOF auto-generated files.  I
>save the book as PDF.  In the Bookmarks pane of the resulting PDF file,
>each line in the TOC, LOT, and LOF are active PDF hyperlinks and work as
>expected with one exception.
>If I apply a "red" character tag to just the word Options, "Table 1:
>Configuration" is black and an active hyperlink, "Options . . 2" is red
>and not a hyperlink.
>
>If I generate a PDF file of just the chapter file (rather than a
>book-level PDF), applying a character tag to the TableTitle has no
>effect on the PDF bookmark (color or what works as a hyperlink).
>
>Can anyone explain this behavior?  Why do character tags affect the PDF
>bookmarks only when the PDF is generated from the .book file, and not
>when I generate a PDF from the single file.  I don't see anything in the
>PDF Options for controlling this

Are you referring to PDF bookmarks or links?

With respect to links: With all FM versions, the link area created by
hypertext markers is delimited by a change of character properties (or the
presence of character tags).
If your TOC entries retrieve character formatting from the source file (eg
Superscript) or have character formatting in the TOC reference page, the
link will be present in the beginning of the paragraph and extend only
until the change of properties is encountered (eg the page number will not
be hyperlinked, if present at the end of the paragraph).
See http://www.microtype.com/Hmmms.html#0305 for some examples.

This behavior is the same whether it's a generated file or a regular
chapter, and applies equally to all methods of FM->PDF creation.

The only effective workaround is to use a FrameScript that duplicates the
automatically-generated hypertext markers for each of the character format
regions within the TOC paragraph. (The script can be activated
automatically whenever the TOC is generated/updated).

With respect to bookmarks: PDF bookmarks generated by FrameMaker do not
retrieve any character property, so if you have Italic/Bold/Symbol fonts
within the paragraph, these are not present in the bookmark.
If you specify the TableTitle paragraph as a bookmark, related bookmarks
will be spread throughout the set of bookmarks, possible nested under
collapsed bookmarks. If you would like to provide direct/efficient access
to Table/Figure bookmarks, grouping is possible through a function in the
FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers add-on.
See http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF05.html for examples.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers

"Improve Your FrameMaker Skills" live web-based training sessions