How can I use variables in the autonumber format of paragraphs?

Syed.Hosain at aeris.net Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Fri Nov 28 19:09:55 PST 2008

Hi, all.

(Using FrameMaker 8.0p277 on a Windows XP Pro SP3 system.)

I am currently using the following autonumbering format to increment a counter for certain paragraphs:

	R:22.4a-<n+>

This works well for my needs.

However, the "22.4a" is actually the version number of the book (happens to be a technical specification). When I update the book (which can happen often), I use a variable to update the content as needed. Very simply, I have a variable called "RevNum" which is set at the book level - using the wonderful BookVars tool from Leximation - to hold this value.

My problem:

I would like the above autonumber format to also change when I update the variable. I see constructs such as "<$chapnum>" available, but I cannot seem to use a user variable "<$RevNum>" like this:

	R:<$RevNum>-<n+>

to get the outcome I am looking for (when RevNum is set to "22.4a" ... and works great with other text locations).

Is there any way to do this cleanly and easily and automatically, so that I do not have to go edit the paragraph format each time and update the autonumber format? Am I doing something fundamentally wrong here?