moving & preserving links between chapters in a book

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 06:23:26 PDT 2008

I saved one of my chapters that included a cross-reference to a
different chapter as a MIF. Examination showed that cross-chapter
references includes the absolute path to the linked file. If the
directory structure isn't exactly the same in both places, the link
won't work.

You can either recreate all the cross-chapter links or you can use
Bruce Foster's Archiver plugin. It will bundle all the files
(including graphics) in a book and save it wherever you want, and it
updates the links in the process. Well worth the $25.

http://home.comcast.net/~bruce.foster/index.html

HTH

Lin

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 9:09 AM, James Dyson <jdyson at kvh.com> wrote:
> Hi all. I'm using Framemaker 8 and we just discovered a problem caused
> when we move our books  to different network locations. If we move from
> point A to point B, the book's links to chapters (i.e. index) and the
> links to different places within the same chapter work just fine. What
> doesn't work is the links from one chapter to another. Is there a
> solution? There very well may be a better way to do this, but here's how
> we move our books: We do a "save as" command for each chapter to the new
> location. We then create a book from scratch in that location (and
> update the book). I'm stumped.
>

> James Dyson
>
> Technical Writer
>
> KVH Industries, Inc.
>
> 50 Enterprise Center | Middletown, RI 02842
>
> Direct Tel: +1.401.845.2416
>
> Tel: +1.401.847.3327 | Fax: +1.401.849.0045
>
> jdyson at kvh.com
>
> http://www.kvh.com <http://www.kvh.com/>
>
> The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended by KVH Industries for the use of the named individual or entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is confidential or privileged.  If you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email so that the sender's address records can be corrected.

Lin Sims